Thirty-two video lessons are uniquely embedded in a special edition of W.H. Freeman's StatsPortal. Instructors select from two textbook options, and students purchase an eBook/StatsPORTAL token.
More information will be posted soon. These products will be available for preview in Summer 2011. Please call Coast Learning Systems for details, (800) 547-4748.
StatsPORTAL by W.H. Freeman
Personalized Study Plan
Students take preliminary quizzes and are directed to specific text sections and resources to review the questions they missed.
- Thirty-two, 30-minute videos.
- Student Study Guide designed to assist the student's learning experience. It includes Selected Solutions explanations of crucial concepts with step-by-step models of important statistical techniques
- StatTutor Tutorials tied directly to the textbook, containing videos, applets, and animations.
- Statistical Applets to help students master key concepts.
- CrunchIt! Statistical Software, accessible from any Internet location, offering the basic statistical routines covered in the introductory courses and more.
- Stats@Work Simulations put the student in the role of consultant, helping them better understand statistics within the context of real-life scenarios.
- EESEE Case Studies developed by The Ohio State University Statistics Department are timely, real examples with real data. Each is built around questions that make students think carefully about statistical issues.
- Podcast Chapter Summary provides students with a downloadable mp3 version of chapter summaries.
- Data sets are available in ASCII, Excel, JMP, Minitab, TI, SPSS, and S-Plus.
- Online Tutoring with SmarThinking is available for homework help from specially-trained, professional educators.
- Statistical Software Manuals for TI-83/84, Minitab, Excel, JMP, and SPSS provide instruction, examples, and exercises using specific statistical software packages.
- Interactive Table Reader allows students to use statistical tables interactively to seek the information they need.
The Basic Practice of Statistics - Textbook Option #1
The Basic Practice of Statistics has become a bestselling textbook by focusing on how statistics are gathered, analyzed, and applied to real problems and situations—and by confronting student anxieties about the course’s relevance and difficulties head on.
With David Moore’s pioneering "data analysis" approach (emphasizing statistical thinking over computation), engaging narrative and case studies, current problems and exercises, and an accessible level of mathematics, there is no more effective textbook for showing students what working statisticians do and what accurate interpretations of data can reveal about the world we live in.
In the new edition, you will once again see how everything fits together. As always, Moore’s text offers balanced content, beginning with data analysis, then covering probability and inference in the context of statistics as a whole. It provides a wealth of opportunities for students to work with data from a wide range of disciplines and real-world settings, emphasizing the big ideas of statistics in the context of learning specific skills used by professional statisticians. Thoroughly updated throughout, the new edition offers new content, features, cases, data sources, and exercises, plus new media support for instructors and students—including the latest version of the widely-adopted StatsPortal.
Introduction to the Practice of Statistics - Textbook Option #2
Introduction to the Practice of Statistics new sixth edition brings the acclaimed IPS approach to a new generation, with a number of enhancements in the text and with breakthrough media tools for instructors and students. It demonstrates how statistical techniques are used to solve real-world problems, combining real data and applications with innovative pedagogy, both in the text and via electronic media.
New Format Options
Introduction to the Practice of Statistics, Sixth Edition is available as:
• A core book containing the first 13 chapters in hardcover (1-4292-1622-0) or paperback (1-4292-1621-2). Companion chapters 14-17 are available on the book’s CD and web site.
• Extended Version (hardcover; includes chapters 1-15): 1-4292-1623-9